Aug

Peach Riesling Sorbet

Two bags of fragrant peaches sat on my counter last weekend. They were too good to refrigerate, and too many to eat. They needed to be consumed ASAP or they were destined to wind up like too many peaches do in our house: mush. Icky, brown mush.

This peach sorbet was wonderful way to end the peach season. We may have another week of peaches left in St. Louis, if I’m lucky. If not, I’ll be at peace with it. It would be impossible to take a peach and top this, unless you simply take a bite of one, of course.

The explosion of peach, star anise and white wine is intense here. “Imagine the best white sangria you’ve ever had, and turn it into sorbet,” says the introduction in Gourmet Today. These final sweltering days of summer call for something cold, sweet and fruity. I just finished the last bowl of sorbet. I’m chalking this up as one of my favorite finds this year.

Peach Riesling Sorbet
Gourmet Today

1 pound peaches (3 large) peeled, halved, pitted, and cut into 1-inch-thick wedges [or use 1 pound frozen peach slices, not thawed]
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
scant 1/2 cup superfine sugar [this can be made by whizzing granulated sugar in a food processor]
1 whole star anise or 1 teaspoon star anise pieces
1 1/2 cups Riesling, Gewurztraminer, or other slightly sweet white wine
2 tablespoons light corn syrup

Toss peaches with lemon juice in a 4-quart heavy pot. Stir in sugar, star anise, and 1 cup wine, bring to a simmer, and simmer, covered, until peaches are tender, about 5 minutes.

Discard star anise. Working in batches, transfer mixture to a blender and puree (use caution when blending hot liquids). Force puree through a medium-mesh sieve into a metal bowl, pressing hard on solids; discard solids. Stir in corn syrup and remaining 1/2 cup wine. Refrigerate, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until cold, about 1 hour, then cover and refrigerate until very cold, 6 to 8 hours.

Freeze sorbet in ice cream maker. Transfer to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden for at least 1 hour.

Sorbet keeps for up to one week.

About these ads

7 Responses to “Peach Riesling Sorbet”

1. 1 tf
    September 2, 2010 at 8:51 pm

Sorbet keeps longer than a week! That said, I doubt this one would last a week…

2. 2 tf
    September 6, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Wow. Just made this tonight — it’s fantastic. We used frozen peaches for expedience (and because we wanted to save our farmer’s-market peaches for eating). We also didn’t heave star anise, but we used about 1/2 teaspoon of Five-spice powder, on the theory that it contains star anise (as well as cinnamon), and that we should use a smaller quantity of powder than we would of broken star-anise pieces. Delicious, and I think the cinnamon really adds something.

Oh, and there’s no way it’ll last a week. I give it two or three days, tops…

• September 9, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Ours lasted three days. Interesting about the five-spice powder. Another variation that would probably be great: frozen raspberries instead of peaches.

3. 4 tf
    September 9, 2010 at 2:41 pm

I’ve used various berries and such (including frozen cherries for a chocolate-black cherry sorbet). For anything with seeds or skins, though, straining is critical. Otherwise the sorbet ends up being pretty gritty. It’s such a pain, though.

4. 5 Betsy
    September 12, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Hi Elisa,
    I’m making sorbet. Going pretty classic. Can’t decide between lemon, lime or lemon-lime. What do you think? -Bets

5. 7 Betsy
    September 14, 2010 at 7:50 am

Hi Elisa,
    Just now seeing your reply! I opted for lemon-lime. Think it’s tasty. We shall see on Saturday.Juiced lots of lemons and limes by hand and missed my old lemon juicing tool, which I no longer have. But did use my ice cream maker, so good to get some use out of that. May make one other flavor. I’ll keep you posted!